Patient input into medical research is becoming increasingly important. The MPE Advocate Development Programme aims to help myeloma and AL amyloidosis advocates understand the research and development process of drugs, from the preclinical stages through to post-marketing surveillance and national access. Topics include clinical trial design, regulation, pricing and health technology assessment (HTA). The programme combines a series of theoretical sessions delivered by experts with practical sessions that take place during the most important myeloma scientific meetings in Europe such as the European Haematology Association (EHA) Annual Meeting.
Ananda Plate, CEO of Myeloma Patients Europe, explains in this video the main objectives of this programme:
The MPE Advocate Development Programme (ADP) is a 12-month training programme designed for MPE members and myeloma and AL amyloidosis advocates. The course aims to develop your capacity to become an even more effective and empowered patient advocate that serves patients in your community by understanding clinical research and development, mechanisms of accessing diagnostics and drugs, interaction with stakeholders like clinicians and industry, and the basics of evidence-based advocacy. The 2020 ADP class will have 6 seats.
Applicants for the ADP 2020 must meet all the following requirements and commitments over the programme period of 1 year:
- Being an active patient advocate in the field of myeloma or AL amyloidosis in Europe
- Determination to develop professional advocacy skills in the field of myeloma or AL-amyloidosis
- Commitment to attend 6-8 web-based virtual meetings and webinars of ~1 hour each
- Commitment to invest additional 20 learning and homework hours (e.g. pre-read, case studies, responding to questions, performing tests)
- Commitment to attend the full duration of the following congresses (with travel and accommodation covered by MPE):
- MPE AGM 2020 (6 – 8 March 2020, Amsterdam);
- EHA Annual Congress (11 – 14 June 2020, Frankfurt);
- ECCO European Cancer Summit (18 – 19 November 2020, Brussels);
- MPE AGM 2021 (March 2021, date and location TBC).
- Interest to participate in ISPOR Europe 2020 (14-18 November 2020, Milan, Italy)
- It will be required for course participants to apply for an EHA Patient Advocate Fellowship to guarantee access to the EHA Annual Congress. EHA provides a limited number of patient advocate fellowships for their annual congress and it is mandatory that all EHA Fellowship receivers attend the EHA Patient Advocates Capacity Building Programme and Patient Advocacy Sessions.
- Speaking English fluently is essential to participate in presentations and discussions
- The ADP welcomes patient advocates with any kind of professional background. However, healthcare professionals who are actively practising their medical profession e.g. as a haematologist or nurse in a clinic are not entitled to apply for this programme
If you are willing to become involved in the MPE Advocate Development Programme in 2020, please fill in the form below.