- Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
- Position Type: Full time/permanent
- Probation period: 6 months
- Travel Required: 30 days / year (approx.)
- Location: Europe (preferably Germany, Spain, Belgium or UK)
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for leading MPE, supporting and guiding the organisation’s mission, strategy and priorities, as defined by the MPE Board.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
- Responsible for providing sufficient support for the Board to ensure good governance of the organisation.
Financial performance and visibility
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of MPE.
- Responsible for preparing quarterly financial reports, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organisation.
- Responsible for budget planning and financial management, ensuring that all projects and activities operate within the approved budget.
- Responsible for the closing of the Financial Year, in line with Belgian law, and the development of a yearly report for the General Assembly.
- Responsible for fundraising and financial sustainability and diversity.
- Ensures the legal and fiscal requirements are in line with Belgian law.
Strategy and operations within the organisation’s mission
- In close collaboration with the Board, responsible for strategic planning to ensure MPE successfully fulfils its mission and prioritises its actions based on MPE’s strategic objectives.
- Responsible for implementation and development of MPE’s programmes and projects, ensuring alignment with the mission and objectives of MPE.
- Ensures annual performance, impact and outreach evaluation of all that MPE does.
- Liaises and works with MPE member organisations and their leaders to maintain and grow the sense of belonging to MPE.
- Responsible for effective administration of MPE’s operations and finances.
- Responsible for the hiring, supervision, retention and performance management of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organisation.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining partnerships with other patient organisations and stakeholders to support the strategic objectives of the organisation.
- Responsible for the enhancement of MPE’s public image by being active and visible in the patient community and with other stakeholders, e.g. by working closely with other professional, public and private organisations.
- Responsible for maintaining and/or increasing the engagement of MPE’s members, volunteers and other patient advocacy groups.
- Responsible for liaising with members, responding to their requests and needs.
- Responsible for approving the annual communication plan and ensuring resources to fulfil it, including internal communication (members, Board, staff, contractors, Board Committees, work groups) as well as external communication (website, events, online and offline media).
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
Qualifications and experience:
- University studies (or equivalent experience) preferably but not necessarily in Law, Political Sciences, Public Health, Business Management or another related/relevant field.
- Demonstrable work experience in the field of NGO’s (preferably patient organisations).
- Demonstrable work experience in leading employed or volunteer teams.
- Demonstrable experience in successfully managing projects and programmes.
- Knowledge of healthcare in general and in particular in areas such as access to health policy, patient advocacy, NGO communications, programme management and development and financial management.
- Proficient in English (other languages a plus).
- Proactivity and teamwork. Collaborative spirit as a way to inspire and motivate others.
- Capability to work alone.
- Capacity to multitask, manage a complex workload, to plan and prioritise effectively and with flexibility.
- Capacity for speaking in public.
- Motivation and commitment.
- Knowledge of hematological diseases, especially multiple myeloma.
- Knowledge of health policy, human and/or patients’ rights.
- Understanding and awareness of clinical research.
- Willingness to travel.
- Willingness to work outside of standard weekday hours and on weekends if needed.
- An opportunity to lead an established, well-respected and impactful European non-profit organisation in the emerging fields of patient-centered healthcare and patient advocacy, working together with key patient advocacy leaders across Europe to shape and improve outcomes for patients.
- Full-time/permanent position (6-month probation period), giving the opportunity to integrate in a young, dynamic and multi-cultural team working from different European cities.
- Competitive salary, friendly colleagues and an inspiring work atmosphere.
Myeloma Patients Europe (MPE) is a pan-European organisation representing around 48 myeloma and amyloidosis patient groups from over 30 European countries. It is registered as an international non-profit organisation under Belgian Law. A Board mainly composed of patients and caregivers is elected by the membership to oversee the strategy and governance of the organisation. A team of ten staff members runs the day to day operations, programmes and services.
MPE is dedicated to improving the treatment, care and quality of life of patients with myeloma and AL Amyloidosis. To this end, the main goals of the organisation are:
- Collaborating on projects to the benefit of the myeloma community.
- Exchanging information and best practice.
- Developing existing patient groups and encouraging and facilitating the setting up of new groups.
- Helping to shape appropriate health-related policies and initiatives on a European and national level.
- Ensuring patients across Europe receive timely access to new treatment.
- Stimulating and promoting patient-centred research and clinical trials.
- Developing a strong evidence base for the needs and wants of patients and their role in research.
- Providing information, educational and outreach programmes to member groups.
Apply for this job offer by sending a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 15 November 2021.
If you have any further questions, please contact Hans Scheurer (President of MPE) and Ananda Plate (current CEO of MPE) by sending an email to email@example.com.